The Choose Healthy Challenge is a 50-day competition offered as a resource to engage Birmingham employees and their households to make healthy choices. Challenge participants submit their healthy choices using the Planet Fundraiser mobile application and earn entries for chances to win weekly prizes. Healthy choices will also score a point for their team or business. The Choose Healthy Challenge is an innovative and fun way to reward healthy living while promoting health and wellness in Birmingham. Show us how you are living healthy!
After downloading the Choose Healthy Challenge mobile application, open the app. Enter your name, email, and phone number then select Create Account. Following account creation, a screen will prompt you to Create password and Confirm password. A new screen with the fields Campaign and Group will appear. Select the Birmingham Choose Healthy Challenge as your campaign and the organization relevant to you.
Here are the important dates to be aware of:
- Monday, October 3rd – Challenge start
- Monday, November 22nd – Challenge end
- Wednesday, November 30th – Trophy Presentation
The “Choose Healthy Giveaway” (“Giveaway”) is open only to persons who, as of date of entry, are legal residents of one of the United States or the District of Columbia, and at least 18 years of age or older at the time of entry.
Your Healthy Selfies don’t have to be pictures of you, just attesting you participated in a healthy action. Photos can consist of people, places, activities, or things. Here are some examples of good Healthy Selfies:
The following are steps to submit a healthy action to compete in the Choose Healthy Challenge:
- After downloading the Choose Healthy Challenge mobile application, click the large red “+” button.
- Select the activity type or healthy purchase you want to submit a picture of.
- Snap a picture of the activity or healthy receipt.
- Click Submit Activity.
- If you would like the photo to be shared in the Healthy Selfie feed, please select Allow Sharing.
You can log in to your account at www.ChooseHealthyChallenge.com and view the leaderboard to see how your team stands.
Submissions are typically processed within 20 minutes. This depends on the submission volume. Please be patient during peak hours such as lunchtime.
Each day you are able to log one healthy action in each of the following categories: Physical Health, Nutritional Health, Emotional Health, and Weekly Health.
For each point you earn, it earns you a chance for the weekly prize drawing. Each week you start back over with zero entries for that current week.
Participation in the Choose Healthy Challenge is entirely voluntary and to be done on one’s personal time.
If you are selected as a winner you will be emailed. If we do not receive a response within 24 hours we will email plus call you the next day.
You can choose to pick up the prize or we can mail the prize to a location address you provide after you win.
The Planet Fundraiser mobile app is available for free in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
No, photos are kept completely private. The challenge technology keeps all images secure. Participants have the choice to share each photo they submit. After submission, the image is reviewed by our proprietary image recognition systems. Once approved your points will reflect on your dashboard. If you choose to give permission to share, it will be reviewed by a Challenge team member then determine to share or not.
Sign-up is open throughout the challenge dates.
Here are some examples of a healthy physical action:
- Play a sport with some friends
- Go for a brief jog
- Hike with the family
- Try a new morning calisthenics routine
- Take your pet for a walk
- Sign-up for a local fun run or a marathon
Here are some examples of a healthy nutritional action:
- Add fruit to your morning routine
- Boil or steam foods for dinner instead of frying
- Prepare your lunch at home rather than getting fast food
- Swap desserts for smoothies and fresh fruit
- Carry a water bottle with you to work
Here are some examples of a healthy emotional action:
- Family dinner with no digital devices
- 10 minutes of meditation
- Go to the park with your pet
- Play an instrument
- Perform a creative activity(draw, paint, play an instrument, etc.)
- Building something
- Go to a Museum
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep
- Play a board game with friends
The Birmingham Choose Healthy Challenge is taking place on the Choose Healthy Challenge mobile app and website. The mobile app can be found in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store by searching ‘Choose Healthy Challenge’. The Challenge can also be found online at choosehealthychallenge.com.
Here are a few ideas to help spur team participation:
- Host a healthy potluck
- Plan a Healthy Selfie contest of your own
- Take group walks during break or lunch
- Coordinate a healthy recipe swap
- Sign up to walk a 5k charity event together as a team
- Organize a “best healthy dish” contest
- Invite a guest speaker on a health topic that interests the team